Harris Legal Search has been exclusively engaged by Clearwater Paper to recruit a Corporate Counsel.
This key attorney will report to the General Counsel, have visibility with senior leaders, and provide legal support and consultation for enterprise-wide client groups. This counsel will serve as a liaison between departments performing a variety of legal responsibilities, including contract and policy management, advice on regulatory issues, litigation, support on due diligence matters, and other projects. This attorney may be based at headquarters in Spokane, Washington, or work remotely with the ability to travel to headquarters several times annually.
- Take charge of SEC reporting and compliance matters for the company (currently handled by the General Counsel).
- Provide the legal support and expertise for key strategic initiatives.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships within the legal department as well as across functions and divisions; serve business units as a partner with legal expertise with employees at all levels.
- Provide high quality, timely legal services and legal risk management for the company, including as the lead legal contact for reviewing, drafting and negotiating a wide variety of contracts (vendor and customer), and other legal documents.
- Develop, improve, and maintain contract templates, corporate policies and processes and implement a cross functional database for contracts.
- Manage such other matters as trademarks, the development and maintenance of corporate policies, due diligence and projects as requested.
- Research and provide advice on legal and regulatory issues.
- Oversee, directly or as part of team, litigation and legal claim matters, including the supervision of outside counsel as necessary.
- Oversee, directly or as part of team, due diligence matters for corporate transactions, including the supervision of outside counsel as necessary.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school.
- Membership in good standing in at least one state Bar in the U.S.
- 5+ years of large national or regional law firm experience or in a corporate transactional practice; some in-house experience is preferred.
- Strong understanding of critical financial business metrics; and understanding of contracts to make business decisions and take smart risks.
- Able to think strategically and act tactically.
- Demonstrated ability to lead in a matrixed and highly collaborative environment to influence change and core processes.
- High degree of business curiosity; quick learner with a proactive and agile mindset.
- Champion of continuous process and productivity improvement while building consensus throughout the organization.
- Eager to innovate and improve procedures and processes.
- Exceptional communication skills (written and verbal); leading and presenting complex materials for various audiences.
- Demonstrated strong change management skills with an ability to challenge status quo while aligning and bringing along others.
- Proven ability to adapt to evolving business conditions in a challenging fast paced environment while maintaining vision for path forward.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including demonstrated ability to create useful business documents and presentations in plain English.
- Experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating a wide range of commercial contracts for vendors, and customers.
- Experience counseling and training businesspersons and a strong customer/client service orientation.
- Keen attention to detail, ability to work independently, results-oriented and excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to use business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems and the pursuit of business opportunities.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $183,000 to $220,000. Starting salary is determined by several factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. This position is also eligible for an annual incentive bonus of 20%.
Clearwater Paper (NYSE: CLW) is a publicly held company and a premier supplier of private brand tissue to major retailers, including grocery, drug, mass merchants and discount stores. In addition, the company produces bleached paperboard used by quality-conscious printers and packaging converters, and offers services that include custom sheeting, slitting, and cutting. Clearwater Paper’s employees build shareholder value by developing strong relationships through quality and service. Working at Clearwater Paper provides an opportunity to enrich your career through challenging and meaningful work and ongoing training and development—all in a supportive environment. We know our success depends on your success.